10 Reasons Why a Mentor Is a Must
From not making certain career decisions to learning new technology, a mentor can help guide you through your career journey.
Here are ten other reasons why you need someone like a mentor:
1. Mentors provide information and knowledge
As Benjamin Franklin said, "Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn."
With a mentor from start, tap into a wealth of knowledge that gets you to speed faster and shortened that learning curve.
2. Mentors can see where we need to improve where we often cannot
Moviemaker George Lucas noted, “Mentors have a way of seeing more of your faults we would like. It’s the only way we grow.”
They will always be brutally honest with you and tell you exactly how it is rather than downplay any weakness they see in you.
3. Mentors find ways to stimulate our personal and professional growth
Another famous movie director explained, “The delicate balance of mentoring someone is not creating them in your own image but giving them the opportunity to create themselves.”
Mentor will often pose questions for you to think about and ask you to come back with answers later.
4. Mentors offer encouragement and help keep us going
Inspirational entrepreneur Oprah Winfrey, “A mentor is someone who allows you to see the hope inside yourself.”
Mentors provide the encouragement and guidance that gives us hope and confidence that we could do whatever was asked of us.
5. Mentors are disciplinarians that create necessary boundaries that we cannot set for ourselves
Teaches you good work habits and provided the boundaries for me to work within. This solidifies your work ethic, sharpens your focus, and clarifies your priorities in a way we cannot do on our own.
6. Mentors are sounding boards so we can bounce ideas off them for an unfiltered opinion.
Helps you see which of the career moves have potential and which others were better left alone.
7. Mentors are trusted advisers.
8. Mentors can be connectors.
9. Mentors have experiences you can learn from to prevent making the same mistakes beginners make.
10. Mentors are priceless in more ways than one.